Do you know how to spot a scam? Follow our tips below, and take a look at our scam checklist. If you do spot a scam, be sure to report it to ActionFraud using their website: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk
- If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is
- Does the email header and sender’s email address match? If not, it’s probably not a legitimate email from the company
- Do not click on any link within an email that you were not expecting
- If an email asks you to verify an account, just delete it. Do not disclose any personal or banking details to anyone either by email or on the phone
- Many banks and businesses offer a “phishing” report email address – simply forward the email in its entirety for further investigation by the company concerned
A quick scam checklist:
- Was the contact unsolicited?
- Are you being pressured to reply – what is the rush?
- Do you have to pay for a prize or “free” gift?
- Are you being asked to pay money in advance?
- Are they offering to transfer money into your account?
- Do you have to ring a premium rate number?
- Are you being asked for personal and/or bank details?
- Are you being asked to keep the offer or scheme confidential?